Sunday, August 7, 2011

Contemporary Influences - Fiction

You'll have to pardon the format of this one. The posting mechanism for the site kinda blows and until I get the hang of it, this will have to do. In fact, this is not at all how I wanted to post this...

However, these are some books that have really spoken to me in numerous ways over the last year. Whether by style or by plot or characterization, I'm constantly recommending these to other people for one reason or another. This is obviously not a complete list, but this is a good batch to start with as they all tend to run the gamut of storytelling ideas.















2 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you liked Pedro Paramo! I think it's one of the best books ever written. as for the others, I will have to check them out. am intrigued by the nazi one. although I have Outer Dark at my house and still haven't read it so maybe I should start there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. paramo was a really great read. though i couldn't do rulfo's book of short stories. i didn't think there were nearly as engaging.

    as for bolano's "nazi literature in the americas," it's a fascinating book. he basically compiles profiles of (fictional) noteworthy nazis from the last 70 years in different countries and creates little biographies about them. the first half moves pretty quick and it's somewhat plotless, but the second half seemed to drag on a bit for me. really interesting read, however.

    ReplyDelete