Friday, April 13, 2012

Artist Profile: Surya Kalsi (San Francisco)

Surya Kalsi


Why are you an artist?

Creating a work of art, be it a story or photograph, means everything to me. Creating art is an introspective conversation between self and subject, between the limits of one's skill and the powers of one's imagination. For me, creating art means learning about myself and the world, being sensitive to a subject's nuances, being selective with one's choices so as to reveal theme clearly and precisely, thus revealing emotion, thus revealing truth.


What is your inspiration?

I am inspired by things (objects, people, places) in flux, in states of transcendence and decay.




Would you consider yourself a designer, an artist, or both?

I am primarily a writer who looks to photography as a means to work out some hidden flaw in my being.



What is your philosophy of art? 

I don't believe in aesthetic philosophies as they seem to circumscribe into a system of beliefs what is from what is not. I don't believe in artistic movements either, those various "isms" that people use to categorize works of art into nicely defined boxes. If anything, I believe in being sensitive to the world and its changes, its mutations, transformations. There is great beauty in decay.





What is the role of the artist in our society?

The artist has no role in society. He exists outside of it. He is "meta-individual," commenting through his works on what upsets him, pleases him, angers him, sickens and thrills him. he works diligently to communicate his thoughts and feelings to others in hopes they will share his hopes and skepticism.





Where do you see yourself as an artist in 5 years? What are your ultimate goals as an artist? 

I am primarily a writer, so in five years I see myself as a published author, professor of creative writing at some university, and well-entrenched in the literary world.


What does art mean to you?

Everything.





Surya's thoughts on writing, book reviews, and non-fiction essays about his trips up and down the Californian coast can be found on his blog called Headers, Margins, and Footnotes.

To contact him or to see more of his photography, head over to http://www.kalsiphotography.com





(9,423)

No comments:

Post a Comment