Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Artist Profile - Chris Wiley (Kansas City)

Chris Wiley
(Fun fact: this is a self-portrait sketch and not a photo.)


Chris is an artist in the Lee's Summit, Missouri area specializing in the graphite medium. He is a detail-oriented person and enjoys putting as much realism as possible into his pieces. He began creating artwork at an early age, but most recently picked up the pencil again after 20 years of not drawing and began creating artwork again. He believes that if you have the talent, it is just like riding a bike: you never forget. 





 "Forefathers"

Why are you an artist?

From as early of an age as I can recall, I have enjoyed drawing what I see, whether it be with my eyes or my imagination. My grandmother saved all of my rudimentary drawings that I did for her as a child and showed them to me when I was older. I was actually surprised at the attention to detail that I had at such an early age. I still seem to adhere to that philosophy to this day. I enjoy being able to bring lifelike details to all of my artwork. It is that attention to detail that seems to bleed over into everything that I do and is a definite advantage in my real-life career as a pilot. I like to think that I am a "pilot with an artist's soul."


 "Brown Trout"


What is your inspiration?

Inspirations change as our personalities change. My current inspiration is actually my family, my wife in particular.  She is the one that inspired me to pick up the pencil after 20+ years and start drawing again.



 "Harley"


Would you consider yourself a designer or artist or both?

I would consider myself to be an artist for the most part. I draw what I see most of the time.

 

"Horses"


What is your philosophy of Art?

Art is an expression of the soul. Even if you are doing nothing but simply replicating something that you see onto a canvas or drawing board, some part of your personality is going to come through in that piece of art.
 


"Little Moments"


What is the role of the artist in our society?

Everywhere that you look, and everything that you see, was created by an artist of some genre, whether it be the plate that you are eating off of, the building that you are sitting in, or the clothes that you are wearing.  Somebody with some type of artistic ability is responsible for that. I think that artists are a staple in our society.





"P-51 Wide"



Where do you see yourself as an artist in 5 years? What are your ultimate goals as an artist?

Optimally, I see myself sitting at home in my underwear doing nothing but drawing and turning out commissions every day. Realistically, I foresee myself continuing to drudge on in my current career, making time for my drawing when I can, much as I am doing now.



"Companion"



What does art mean to you?

To me, art is appreciation of life. Imitation is the best form of flattery.




 
"Inbound Hot"



You can find more of Chris' work (and purchase prints as well) at the links below:





(25,444)

No comments:

Post a Comment