Sunday, December 11, 2011

Music Influencing "Sugarhouse: A Haunting"...

I've been listening to a lot more classical lately. Not so much of the old classics like Tchaikovsky or Mozart, but more contemporary composers like Gustav Mahler, Gustav Pettersson, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Modest Mussorgsky. Their compositions are dark and mostly dissonant, a kind of music fare that fits the writing mood that I seem to find myself in.

What I love about most music is that it evokes different emotions in people depending upon their mood or their memories. For me, Jeff Buckley's album "Grace" didn't hold as much relevance until 2006, despite my having owned it since it's release in 1994. Twelve years apparently makes a person's tastes change a bit and this is no exception. I played the violin in the fourth grade. I LOVED classical music, but couldn't read notes to save my life. So at my final concert, when I lost my place in the sheet music, I simply kept my bow moving to make my mother think I was still playing (we played at a HUGE concert hall at the time for our parents). I can't stress this enough: one bow out of sync in an entire orchestra, and people will know. Even if you're not playing a single note. Don't do this.

Regardless, I've always had a special kind of love for the classical music. I know very little about it, but I typically love what i hear. Here are some composers I've been listening to lately:


Mahler

Petterrson

Penderecki

Shostakovich

Liszt

Mendelssohn


Saint-Saens
(4,750)

No comments:

Post a Comment