Thursday, November 1, 2012

Soundtrack to "Scaring the Stars into Submission"

I've mentioned before here that I put a playlist together before writing. I try to pick music that evokes certain kinds of emotions or feelings that jive with where I want to see the piece going. Almost all of the short stories in this collection have been written entirely on my phone, which is unusual for me as I typically hate utilizing technology. What I found, however, was that the app I was using (called "A Novel Idea") helped eliminate the issue of too much white space left on the page. When I'm at my laptop, there's an ocean of white that needs to be filled. When I used my phone, I found myself looking at a significantly smaller screen, which in turn helped me focus more intently on the minutiae of the moments I was writing. I honestly feel that many of the stories are deeper and more detailed in ways that my novel is not for this reason.

Since I was writing on my phone, I filled up my music playlist with things I could listen to through my headphones while on public transit or while outside having a cigarette at the end of the day. Here are some of those choices.


"Isle of the Dead" by Rachmaninov



"I Waited For You" by Miles Davis



"Anaklasis" by Penderecki



"Night on Bald Mountain" by Mussorgsky



"Krasnagorsky" by Nikakoi



"A Symphony Pathetique" by A Winged Victory for the Sullen



"Danse Macabre" by Saint-Saens

(20,669)

No comments:

Post a Comment