Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Music Inspiring "The Machinery of the Heart" Story Collection

With every new project I start, I put together one large playlist or a couple small ones (depending on the type of project it may be). This new project ("The Machinery of the Heart: Love Stories") forced me to dig deep into the crates of music I already had while also picking up a ton of new stuff along the way. Thankfully, the book's aesthetic and several of my friends' music tastes collide nicely together, so I was able to get turned on to some really fantastic stuff.

A great deal of what I already listen to leans to the darker, slower side of things, so what you'll hear below doesn't deviate much from that. And while the title of the new collection contains the phrase 'love stories,' they aren't necessarily the kind of love stories you may be thinking. If you've read any of my published stuff, you'll know my imagination shoots off into some strange places. The music below has been perfect as a guiding force in finding these strange places.

Now typically, I prefer completely instrumental music to listen to while writing so as to avoid someone else's vocal stylings or particular phrases influence me too much (see my post on plagiarism HERE), but there are a few tracks in here that, due to their atmosphere or general vibe, contain some kind of singing or lyrical nature.


Lapalux - "Without You"



Turtle - "Opposite of Low"



 Taku - "Heartbreak (Sinking)"



Seekae - "Reset Head"



George Pallikaris - "Woman"



Yoshinori Sunahara - "Spiral Never Before" 



Aphex Twin - "Rhubarb"



Junior Boys - "Teach Me How to Fight"



James Blake - "Retrograde"



Loscil - "Dub for Cascadia"



Huerco S. - "Struck with Deer Lungs"



Nine Inch Nails - "02 Ghosts I"



Jaco Pastorius - "Portrait of Tracy"



Sleepmakeswaves - "It's Dark, It's Cold, It's Winter"



Teargas & Plateglass - "One Day Across the Valley"





(45,292)



No comments:

Post a Comment